Nothing says autumn comfort like a cosy and creamy Masala Dal. This delicious recipe is nourishing and super easy for busy weeknights. It calls for red lentil dal (an excellent source of plant-based protein and iron) and a simple mix of dried spices. Add in some spinach for extra nutritional benefits and optional chilli! Served with our Wholegrain Coconut Rice and Cauliflower with Turmeric, it makes the perfect balanced plant-based meal.
- 120g red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 40g chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable bullion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp chilli powder (optional)
- Add oil to a sauce pan and sauté the onions, garlic and ginger over medium heat for 5 minutes until soft
- Add the tomato paste and dried spices and cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable bullion and water
- Add the red lentils and chopped tomatoes, and season with salt
- Place the lid on and allow to cook on a low heat for 30-40 minutes until the lentils are soft and the liquid has all been absorbed.
- Finally, add the spinach, stir for another 2 minutes until it’s wilted and turn off the heat.
For people on the go, Simple Foods delivers healthy, home cooked and ready-made meals like this straight to your front door or work space. Sustainable practices are hugely important to us and we want Simple Foods to be part of creating a better environment. Our UK based food boxes mindfully source produce from British farmers and we recycle or repurpose all of our packaging.