Looking for something fun to do over the weekend? Make some whole wheat udon noodles from scratch that are soft, chewy, nutritious and delicious. All you need is 2 ingredients (plus water and salt). It's that simple.
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup of tapioca starch
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix together in a large bowl, the flour and starch and make a well
- Mix the salt with warm water in a separate small bowl
- Pour ½ of the salty water into the well and hand mix
- Slowly add in the rest of the water and keep kneading the dough
- Shape the dough into a ball, place it into a clean bowl, cover it and let it rest for a few hours (or overnight)
- Sprinkle the table with tapioca starch and place the dough on the surface to knead it
- Flatten it until it is around 1/8 inch thin
- Sprinkle tapioca starch on the flattened dough and spread
- Cut the dough into ¼ inch wide noodles and sprinkle a little more tapioca starch
- Bring water to a boil and cook the noodles for 6-7 minutes while gently stirring.
- Drain and rinse under cold water
Udon noodles are ready!
Over to the sauce...
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- ½ tbsp garlic puree
- 2 tbsp potato flour (or rice vinegar)
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- Mix the flour with water to form a paste
- Combine all ingredients in a pan
- Boil for 2-3 minutes until the sauce has thicken
- Add in the noodles and stir for another 2-3 minutes
- Optional: Add sesame seeds for garnish
For people on the go, Simple Foods delivers healthy, home cooked and ready-made meals like this straight to your front door or work space. Sustainable practices are hugely important to us and we want Simple Foods to be part of creating a better environment. Our UK based food boxes mindfully source produce from British farmers and we recycle or repurpose all of our packaging.